Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

MTB - Nuang


Last Sunday I went to Nuang for another attempt to enhance my fitness level, robustness and controllability skills (especially during the downhill ride) by cycling up to the Lolo camp site. As the majority of you would be aware, Gunung Nuang is the highest mountain in Selangor at 1493m and located at Hulu Langat. It is a good training place for trekkers and also claimed as one of the difficult mountain to trek. Hmm. Okay. Some people still finds it fascinating. Obviously, I am part of it. Together with my fellow colleagues, Musaddad and Kamarul.


I woke up in the morning feeling a little bit like sorrow after I start thinking of my missus whom wants me to have a good rest on Sunday after packed agenda within the weekend - I have been to Putrajaya Critical Mass (I will upload the pictures sooner) on last Friday night and reached home at late Saturday night after attending a glamorous Masquerade Rendezvous dinner at One Utama Hotel, Damansara. As I could remember, I reached home around 1am and started a move heading to Nuang around 7am this morning. But things happen, okay? I guess the spirit of the mountain had softened my missus' heart and she finally agreed to let me join the ride. Hehe =P


Initially, we planned to meet at the Dewan Dato’ Nazir at Hulu Langat. Seriously, never heard about it. Musaddad told me there is a Masjid nearby. No further details. That time I presumed there will be only one remarkable Masjid along the way. But, to my counts, there are more than three Masjids! I made a call to Musaddad directly. He knows the vicinity area perfectly. For me, it’s been ages never been there. After two phone calls were made, we confirmed our position for tracking purpose and finally we reached at the Gunung Nuang base almost at the same time.


We arrived at the base around 8.30am and we could see numbers of cars parked along the road side. The weather was excellent. After getting the bikes ready, we started a move around 8.50am. Upon reaching the trailhead, we were supposed to register with RM1 entry fee per person. There, we could see a group with most of them with backpacks. None with bikes. Hmm. Got one Chinese guy told me that they will try to reach the summit. A normal walking pace will take about 8 to 9 hours to reach the summit. It depends, really. Normally, people will camp near Lolo or Tanah Pacat before proceeding to the summit. For us, we made it up to the Lolo within 1h 30m. A great completion by mountain biking!


The trail itself is a mixed of double tracks through diverse terrain including rocks, hills and clay based hard pack with mud holes. Luckily, it was not raining last night. So, the red clay is fine when dry. The trails getting harder as it’s almost reaches the Lolo camp site. Actually, the trail is really mental-torturing and it can often break one's will with its non-stop uphills. However, our mental anguish has been paid off with the aqua therapy sessions and the cooling effect offered by the waterfall. That’s actually our main target. At least, there is something good waiting for us.


Prior pampering ourselves in the pool, without further delay, we attacked the food we (Musaddad and Kamarul) brought. Hehe. You would never be able to guess what our main course was - nasi lemak, telur goreng, karipap, creamy bun and masalodeh (Indian’s cuisine). What a sumptuous feast right in the heart of nature. Thanks guys!After spending 2 hours by the waterfall, we headed back downhill. Within 30-45 minutes, we arrived at the base. Overall, great ride, great foods and great refreshment!

Lessons Learnt:
1. Make sure that you sleep well the night before.
2. Use correct tyre pressure for a better ride.
3. Bring additional attire.

No comments: