Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Working on Sunday?

Hmm. I just finished my brunch while chatting with my lovely wife. Now, she is preparing her dinner while I am updating my blog. She was at home and refused to go to work today. I think it was a good decision. Generally speaking, weekend is a good time dedicated for family gathering and to pamper ourselves and nobody should work on that day, except those in the emergency and leisure industry.


For me, I would prefer to spend my lazy time in my room. Even though we are working in the private sector, it doesn’t mean we can easily be forced to work during the weekends except for some particular strong reasons. If we have to, this shows that the management of the company has failed to achieve the forecasted planning within the normal man-hours. Positively, this will introduce us to a good over time claims. I have heard few cases where some companies willing to offer unlimited over time claims. This will promote more people to work during weekends and somehow it will jeopardize our actual week day’s performance in the office.


This workaholic culture to some extent would also ruin our social relationship with coworkers. Having to say that, if the coworkers willing to work during weekends, that means they seemed work harder than ourselves. One day our boss will think that we are lazy if we refuse to work during weekends. Indirectly, people who don’t want to work during weekends will fight to prevent this from happening and creates an unhealthy communication with other workaholic coworkers.


Obviously, they are not wrong. But in real life, if everyone in my department willing to work until 9 pm every day, would I dare to leave the work at 5 pm? If my boss asks me to work on Sunday and everyone else said yes, would I dare to say no? See, how this symptom will sacrifice our human relations. My suggestions are to work smart and hard during normal working days and spend a quality time during weekends with your loved ones. For me, family comes first above all.

No comments: